Sudahkah hari ini Akangs & Tetehs berkontribusi 3x (tiga kali) untuk Almamater Tercinta???
Go Green Indonesia Ku By Jaringan Hijau Mandiri

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cover Letter For Resumes - How to Avoid the Filing Cabinet

How to put together a killer cover letter for resumes, has been on my resume, lately. I went job hunting for a few months, a year or so ago. The reason I say its been on my resume so to speak, is that I ended up helping my siblings with their resume and cover letters. I know what a pain it can be to be looking for a job and I wanted to help them with what I picked up.


Myself, I didn't want to settle for just any job. I know the financial strain of job hunting and I didn't want to have to move back home. Yet I didn't really want to just take any other job. So I dove right in and researched and picked up information from where ever I could find it to open up my options.

I picked up many good points from programs here and there. The best was that custom is always better. I tried the generic resume and cover letter routine and although I did get calls, I seldom shined. You know the waiting area, with another five or six applicants can seem really long when there's only one spot to fill. Here's a little of what I did to separate myself from the group.

On the cover letter for my resumes, I made sure to address the person hiring or interviewing by name. This shows you've done some work. I avoided generic, weird phrases that very few individuals use. Those are a dead give away that you just copied and pasted. Of course no grammar or spelling mistakes.

I used to read over some of the filed resumes and cover letters at a previous job and for some reason, my manager always opted for new applicants. I guess that says a lot, without saying much.

The cover letter for resumes I submitted focused its attention on the knowledge I had of the company and how I saw myself contributing to the organization. I tried to put across my passion for the field they were in without making it to long.

For a moment I was tempted to use one of those, find a job services that you hear about. But after reading a short story about the experience a user had, that paid close to fifteen thousand dollars to have a resume and cover letter distributed to thousands of employers, with no results. I opted to go at it myself. After all, I didn't have fifteen thousand to invest in getting another job. Holding a fulfilling job in my chosen career was very important for me and I figured that nothing was going to be better than face to face.

In my experience, a good cover letter has made a difference between landing the interview and not. That's the first step, right? I catch the reader with the knowledge I have of their organization and a few other key tips I learned to incorporate into my letter. I've helped my sister and brothers with their letter and they've also landed the jobs.

By Casey Alexander, ezinearticles.com

blog comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search